Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Hi folks – let’s see if we can use this thread to talk about best practices and/or what you do in your own organizations.

How does your co-operative get people on the same page? How do you coordinate members? The board? Staff?

What systems of authority or communication do you use manage strategic interdependencies?

Kathy LittleKathy Little
      Participant

Our local co-op focuses on delivering a common following our mission, vision and goals. When a decision is made whether at the board level or operationally it is made with a view to alignment with these values.

Communication of strategic interdependencies starts with recruitment, and continues through training, meetings, newsletters, strategic planning sessions.

1+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks, Kathy! So, when there are disagreements on the board, are you saying you fall back to the overarching values of the organization in order to make a decision?

Lori SandersLori Sanders
      Participant

I think that “getting everyone on the same page” starts at the Board level. Our Board worked together to develop our Vision, Mission and Values Statements (which are reviewed – not changed – annually). These are placed in every staff room and in every communication in our retail. These statements are lived by our Executive management and filter down to front line staff and to our members as well. We strive to be “the retailer of choice” in our market and it is working in our community.

1+
      Janet TaylorJanet Taylor
      Participant

At Libro shared values drive us, from our Owners right through to the Board and management. As an organization everything we do is focused on our Why. Following along the path of Simon Sinek and Start with Why, we involved our staff, directors and Owner Representatives in creating our Why, How and What statements post-merger in 2014. We are personally invested in our Why and it appeals to many in the community who later become involved with our credit union. We may disagree on certain points but as long as we focus on Why Libro exists we will follow the right path.

We also have very strong group norms. In fact, the board took time last year to discuss group norms in the boardroom. These are being woven into every interaction as well as more formal things like the code of conduct. This helps us know how we should behave.

Shared values, group norms and strong culture are what keep us moving forward. I have heard us called a cult by some. I take that to mean that we do in fact have the values, norms and culture we’re looking for; it just isn’t right for everyone.

1+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks for mentioning, Sinek, Janet — for those who aren’t familiar with his work, there are many, many videos of his talks on YouTube and TEDtalks. One of his major focuses is how to get everyone on the same page, which is important for co-op boards *and for co-op federations, as we have discussed in relation to this case study of FCL.

Here’s a 5 minute clip of him talking about “starting with ‘why'” – which Janet mentions:

He also has numerous books, which you may want to check out.

Paul HamesPaul Hames
      Participant

Like others I believe that the Board has a vital role in establishing and communicating the values and goals of the organization. Our Board meets annually to review our strategic plan. The plan is also reviewed against goals at each Board meeting. We also meet twice a year socially as a Board. I believe these additional get togethers that include our partners help establish a culture of trust and common direction. Board members also are involved throughout the year with staff and members.
      As an example we hold a staff appreciation barbecue in the summer where every staff member receives a bonus and a small gift.

1+
      Kathy LittleKathy Little
      Participant

Hi Jen when there there is disagreement, we do engage in a discussion. Part of this discussion would include looking to see if the project or plan align with our values of integrity, excellence, responsibility and community. We would ask the question if we make this decision does it fit with these values? If we can say yes, then we would agree; if there was a no, we would discuss and see if there was a way we could change or amend the project, if there wasn’t then we wouldn’t go ahead.

1+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks for sharing this, Kathy! It’s very helpful. Not all boards know how to work through disagreement.

Cheryl WallaceCheryl Wallace
      Participant

Thanks for mentioning Sinek above. I really resonate with his stuff and have used it in my own work and work with the credit union. Our board has decision making framework and also focuses on our vision, mission and values. These are reviewed regularly. When more challenging subjects are discussed we try to have additional resources to provide more education and information. It could a speaker or articles or management or a board member. Discussion is important to understand perspectives. When it is a highly critical discussion we do a round table rather than just some weighing in.

I truly believe this has to be a process that is evolving depending on the situation / the board members / economy and etc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT