Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lori SandersLori Sanders
      Participant

The questions posed here are timely for our retail and something we have struggled with for a few years. We have grown into a large, urban retail in the last 10 years and we feel that directors should be educated, responsible and involved people making the correct decisions for our retail. We have a Nominating Committee to review applications, develop and maintain a handbook and interview applicants, however, we cannot present a list of preferred nominees at our Annual Meetings. We mandate director training and most directors have completed both levels of the Director Development Program and we have requested that further Governance training be developed (which is currently in testing stages.)

With the current labour issues faced in our environment we have nominees with ties to this labour movement who want to run for our board, and although we have a strong, diverse board with good governance policies in place, this is a concern for our us.

So, should elections always be open, can we justify competencies, should we require experience -as long as we are diligent for our members and our retail, perhaps the future will see some changes for us. I am also hoping that this course will provide further insight into this issue.

Great topic!

2+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks for your post, Lori. Your co-op is certainly not alone facing these issue right now. I think it’s good that the sector is having to ask itself tough questions — I think it’s healthy — and I also understand your worries. I think all sorts of businesses right now are having to ask themselves whether business-as-usual is viable or if new approaches are needed. I hope more people chime in on the questions you raise and that we can explore a variety of perspectives on these subjects.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT