Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephen KennedyStephen Kennedy
      Participant

My experience is that the governance model is the ideal, and not routinely practiced – specifically in not for profit, or community organizations that I have been elected/appointed too. The reality is that while the “job description” of a Board Member may be captured in the bylaws, many, including myself didn’t understand the governance model (or purpose). Adding more complexity with a volunteer workforce meant that in the absence of a engaged and willing “workforce” meant the Board of Directors would become the occupants of all roles – not unlike our small business owner from the examples shared.

The Diefenbaker Clinic has a number of complex issues that create, at least the appearance of conflict; coupled with health care being an emotional and politicized topic. The risk of appointments to satisfy special interest stake-holders does only that, satisfy only their interests. I think it is mission critical to have the subject matter experts engaged in the decision making process but to alleviate the perception or actual conflict perhaps The positions are based on qualification and subject to voting, or that those SME are appointed to committees underthe direction of of a Board Member (sub committee chair).

Shelley McDadeShelley McDade
      Participant

I agree with your summation of the challenges at the clinic. We often see special appointees on boards that are of a political nature versus what is best for the stakeholders.

Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Great discussion – I think along with medical care being often emotional and political, it is a field marked by information asymmetries. Who is in a position to evaluate the quality of the medical care or technical decisions being made (procedures, prescriptions, etc.) — certainly not most of the members, who are not medical experts themselves. Depending on the business, boards may feel the need to balance the expertise between employees and board members by bringing in outsiders.

John KortramJohn Kortram
      Participant

Hello and apologies for jumping late on the band wagon.
      As in the case provided, in our organization too we have appointed Directors that are not a member of the organization, practically spoken to have access to knowledge and expertise otherwise hard to get on your board from your member population. This in itself I believe is aligned with the insights of Governance best practices today.
      What strikes me in the case is that membership itself provides no guarantee of receiving health service, but members may face a waiting time of 5 years. For such a vulnerable group, as Director that would be totally unacceptable to me. So I am curious how their Governance and purpose is formulated in this respect.
      My assumption is that their main challenge is funding (or efficiency/costs of their operating model, hard to say)
      I see the good governance model provided as very usable. One should handle it with the right interpretation and consider it a “model”. Key to its value in my view is the right application of Empowerment and Accountability into it.

1+
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT