Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Carol RipleyCarol Ripley
      Participant

I believe our model of governance is very strong at both SCU and LSM, and follows much of the sample structure displayed in the Module. However, I do not believe that a strong model exists in all organizations. I think the corporate world has several challenges to attaining good governance, most notably the practice of having CEOs as Chairs of the Boards in many corporations.

I believe the Diefenbaker Clinic will also be challenged in their structure. The Board seems to be made up of many directors that will have their own very specific agendas. I do not think that good decisions will always be made when staff/doctors that work in the Clinic also sit on the Board. Furthermore, the dedicated seats on the Board certainly would come with their own agenda that may not always be in the best interest of the Clinic as a whole.

Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Carol, you are correct that problems arise when board members come to meeting wearing the “hat” of self-interest. This has negative effects on all sorts of co-operatives, not just multi-stakeholder co-ops like the Diefenbaker Clinic. It requires a good Chair and good CEO (with a good working relationship between them) to keep Board members focused on the common, shared goals and vision. That’s the board member’s job- not to advocate for themselves. A good onboarding process for new board members can help reinforce this.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT