Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Les EllsworthLes Ellsworth
      Participant

First of all, I believe that educated directors are very important to any co-op board. In the case of MEC, I believe they stepped way outside the coop model and if they had looked within it’s own membership of 4.5 million members they would have found high level governance experience and if not, the ability within the coop model to educate. Regardless of how large the retail business is in a competitive market, we still have to follow the coop principles and allow any member in good standing to run. Once we go outside of this, in my opinion, we are no longer in a coop model. We must always have a one member, one vote system or else we become a system in were our voting is based on how many shares we buy. In our coop, we would follow the traditional election procedures. We look around different organizations that our members sit on and try recruit. We also solicit young members. Our directors are encouraged to take courses offered within the Coop structure.

1+
      Mary NirlungayukMary Nirlungayuk
      Participant

I agree – I feel MEC is moving away from being a Co-operatives just like Co-op Atlantic as they feel they need experts to be relevant.

1+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks for these posts, Les and Mary. It seems to me the issue can’t be located simply in MEC changing. It’s also the fact that the retail market for outdoor gear is changing as a whole – and there are many very large competitors that could easily outcompete MEC. So questions about co-op governance and decision making can’t be isolated to the co-ops themselves – they exist within an evolving ecosystem that threatens them in new ways and presents new opportunities on a regular basis. The scale of growth of these businesses was something that could not have been predicted 30 or 40 years ago – at least not by most people. Is this a dilemma for some co-operative organizations? How should co-ops in these rapidly evolving contexts try to adapt and succeed, without deviating from the original co-op principles? My second question, is there a way to deviate from the principles without deviating from the values, which some people believe are more important? (self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity, and solidarity, along with honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others)

Jan O’BrienJan O’Brien
      Participant

I have sympathy for the MEC dilemma. As a coop, like the multi-billion dollar credit union where I am director, it is important to ensure that the members’ interest are well looked after. Being selective about who is on the board will not undermine the coop principles if directors are ensuring that there is values alignment as a foundational principle. Our credit union provides a five day orientation to directors and staff about coops and our own way of doing business which puts the members and their communities at the centre. When we inaugurated this program a few years ago every existing and new staff and directors had to participate.

1+
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT