Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the course. My name is Jen Budney and I’m a Professional Research Associate with the Canadian Centre for the Study of Co-operatives (CCSC). I’m very excited to be working with all of you in this class as the course instructor — we have an incredible group of participants from across the co-operative sector in this class.

About me: I have a PhD in Public Policy from the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Saskatchewan. I have been working there since graduation, both as a researcher at the CCSC and as an Instructor — I have taught The Social Economy and Public Policy, Ethical Leadership and Democracy in Public Policy, and Microeconomics for Policy Analysis. My professional background (prior to my PhD) is in the non-profit sector, with a focus on the arts. I also have served as Board Chair for several years at Spadina Early Learning and Childcare Co-operative, Saskatoon’s oldest licensed childcare centre, with four locations serving the city’s core neighbourhoods, and I serve as a board member at Quint Development (a social enterprise in Saskatoon focused on housing and employment), as well as the Hnatyshyn Foundation in Ottawa.

I have been involved in co-ops in different ways throughout my life, having worked as an employee at a natural foods co-ops in Edmonton, Alberta, as a teenager; lived in co-op housing in Halifax, Nova Scotia; and kept my money in credit unions in various provinces (I have lived in BC, AB, SK, ON, and NS). I now live in Saskatoon with my husband, a tech writer, my two kids, ages 11 and 8, and a one-year old dog who, these days, thinks the world revolves around her.

Thanks for signing up for this course with Co-operatives First. I look forward to our discussions.

Pleased to be a part of this. Hoping it can be expanded to the entire board.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT