Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #6655
      Les EllsworthLes Ellsworth
      Participant

      In our organization the board is elected (they are also shareholders), direction is given to management by the board, then from management to staff and onto customers. I think the model for good governance for the most part captures governances in most organizations.

      In regards to the Diefenbaker Clinic, I think the Governance could be difficult considering the Ministry contributes 90% of the budget and the remaining 10% that is raised is by those who are at the ground level. So, in this case it could be very challenging considering that the Ministry in all reality controls the purse strings. So regardless of who is on the board it will be controlled by who holds the purse strings.

      0
    • #6656
      Les EllsworthLes Ellsworth
      Participant

      I answer in the above section

      0
    • #7091
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

      Les, great point. Childcare co-operatives in Saskatchewan are a good example of the problem you point to in the Diefenbaker case. While the government doesn’t provide 90% of the funds for most centres (more like 25%), it permits licensed childcare centres to operate only if they follow certain regulations and curricula. The result is that co-op boards control little except parent fees and staff salaries. While this isn’t “nothing”, it can be frustrating for members who would like to see, for example, culturally appropriate programming for certain demographics, which may not fall in line with provincial regulations.

      0
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT