Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Carol RipleyCarol Ripley
      Participant

In considering the challenges faced by MEC, I can understand in some ways their desire to ensure that their Board is extremely experienced and skilled. What organization would not want a Board like that? However, I think there is a fine line that cooperatives need to ensure that they don’t cross, which I think is completely usurping members’ rights to “decide” who should represent their interests on the Board, and instead orchestrating the Board makeup to maximum the organization’s profits. I think it is important to remember that the Board should be made up of members that best represent the members, and that will be most skilled and diverse to achieve the vision and mission that members envision for their cooperative, which may very well include maximizing profits of course.

Our Board is still elected by the membership with the one member, one vote principle. Our Board does an annual self-assessment and the Governance Committee then identifies any skill gaps that we want to recruit for in the upcoming elections. The Nominating Committee (made up of a current Board member and two Past Presidents) issues requests for nominations, identifying specific skills that we are trying to recruit for. They then evaluate applications to ensure they qualify as candidates, but they do NOT recommend any applications to the membership. They simply evaluate their eligibility and report on same to the membership. All directors are required to complete regulatory training over the subsequent three years, after which time the Governance Committee will make education recommendations annually. However we are still evolving the Governance Committee to improve our own Governance, and we still have lots of work to do.

3+
      Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Thanks for these comments, Carol. It’s good to hear about how different boards handle the nomination process.

Janet TaylorJanet Taylor
      Participant

It sounds like you’re on a good path Carol.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT