Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Shelley McDadeShelley McDade
      Participant

Our Credit Union has a strong history of formal governance driven primarily by qualified members with a passion for the cooperative model. One observation is that governance intention can be shifted or changed by regulatory expectations. As the regulator has significant authority and power – their agenda can become a large part of the governance agenda. Is that good or bad? Well strong oversight is important in a financial institution – so it could be considered good. Does the regulator agenda always have the stakeholder’s and owner’s needs in mind – that depends. The point being – as a very powerful external stakeholder, regulators can play a significant role in governance.

Jen BudneyJen Budney
      Participant

Great point, Shelley, and I can think of other areas where this applies. In Saskatchewan, for example, about 95% of our licensed childcare centres (those not home-based) are co-operatives. Even though they receive only a small portion of their budget from the gov’t, the Ministry of Education, Early Learning Division, sets all the standards for childcare, regulating and evaluating all centres. Their decisions certainly play a huge role in governance. I would say sometimes the regulations force centres to “raise their bars” but at other times the regulations are a minimum standard and centres may lazily choose to to meet, and not exceed, these standards.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT