Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Carol RipleyCarol Ripley
      Participant

1. I cannot imagine how I would rationalize the decision to take on debt of CCC co-ops as legitimate, especially if I were on the Board of a non-CCC co-op. To my view, I would see this decision as undermining the strength of our co-op’s position, and jeopardizing its future sustainability. I could not in good conscience communicate how the decision would be in the best interest of our co-op at all.
      2. I really fail to see how our co-op would have a voice at the Board table, nor do I think this governance structure truly serves all the co-ops they were meant to serve, let alone maintain and create value for our members. It seems to be much more concerned with the co-ops that were part of the CCC, at the expense of the non-CCC co-ops.
      3. I think that cognition and strategic interdependencies did play a role in Co-op Atlantic’s demise. Not only was there not a clear vision for each of the co-ops (or not well defined), the common pool was taken advantage of by the failing co-ops, which really eroded the legitimacy of the governance model.

1+
      Kathy LittleKathy Little
      Participant

Hi Carol I agree that Co-op Atlantic failed to consider the future of the other co-ops in the system. Along with continuing to operate the 28 co-ops under the CCC as deep discount stores, which was a model that had already proven unsuccessful, was a recipe for disaster.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT