Janet TaylorJanet Taylor
Participant

Thanks for sharing John.

1. I believe our governance is viewed as legitimate. We engage a group of Owner-members to be more deeply involved with the governance of our credit union which gives them greater knowledge and influence. It’s one way we can better know what our Owners want and need by hearing their representative voices on a regular basis. These representatives are very good at challenging the board and management because they are better informed than an Owner who just comes to us for their banking business.

2. Our Owner Representative structure helps us build legitimacy. The Board and management stay engaged with our Owner Representatives throughout the year. As an organization we are also very good at responding to feedback from Owners. Last year we made the decision to change the way one of our branches operates; changing it from a full-service location to “by appointment only” for meetings. Before making that decision though, we engaged with a group of local stakeholders including Owner Representatives and community members. The decision wasn’t popular because that small community is seeing a significant decline in both population and businesses. Following our announcement and at the request of our Owners members of the Board and management held a town hall session to further discuss the issue. It has been a year since the change and while some Owners have moved their accounts to another financial institution, most have remained with the credit union and the amount of business they are doing with us has increased. They are finding that they can receive the same or better value at the branches they now frequent.

1+

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT