Carol RipleyCarol Ripley
Participant

1. I agree with Tina’s comment that there isn’t always just one right view of the future. However, it is so important for a Strategic Planning Session to be rooted in a consensus view of the Vision for our cooperative. Once the Board and senior management agree on that, the Strategic Plan becomes much more focused. As well, it is important to look at the entire environment, both internally and externally, to help inform the best view of the future at the point in time that you are looking at the future. This is where a diverse Board can contribute so much in terms of alternative perspectives, especially if the Board’s diversity mirrors the diversity of the membership base.

2. I certainly am not positive that we have overcome these issues. I like to think that our focus on Board education, term limits on directors, and encouraging directors to attend cooperative conferences and events to get exposure to other ideas does help to a large extent. Annual Board assessments are also helpful in focusing the Board on governance areas where we may not be utilizing best practices in Board oversight.

1+

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT