Dianne BrownDianne Brown
Participant

This case study is a good example of the Board of Directors relying on management for most of its information. This is a good example where a Board should have looked to additional resources, A great source is the independent Auditor that already audits on behalf of the membership. They will usually provide some sound financial advise on future projects. Early on it might have been valuable for SWP to reach out to survey the membership, looking for some collective needs and understandings of the future vision they may have. Test the growth strategy against the information that the member survey provided. Alignment with the membership might have provided for a different outcome overall.

This study is also a good example of not having a ‘risk management’ understanding within the organization. The ageing membership and member equity should have been regular report to the Board, both a governing policy and operation policy should have been in place to direct and manage this specific risk. Board diversity or independent opinion might have allowed for this specific risk to be picked up earlier on.

1+

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT