Jen BudneyJen Budney
Participant

Great comments here, everyone. They raise several more questions about board responsibility and behaviour. In periods of rapid change (often marked by changes on multiple interconnected fronts, such as regulations, industry practices & nature of competition, markets), how much should members be expected to be able to develop the right view of the future to communicate to the board? If their views come in the form of questions, worries, concerns, rather than clear visions, does the role of the board change? In other words, in periods of rapid change, should the board amp up its two-way communications? Does it need to become more of a listening board (without giving up any of its oversight responsibilities)? Another question — by what means can a board know whether it is competent to assess management’s decisions? What can boards do to ensure that they don’t come to a point where they fail to see their inability to exercise good judgement and oversight? At what point in this story should alarm bells have gone off for the board — or, put differently, what prevented the board from hearing the alarm?

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT