Louis-H. CampagnaLouis-H. Campagna
Participant

Hi Janet. Thanks for your post. I agree with your example, per emergency service work and risk management, having myself a background in emergency services.

My whole thinking on the matter of Director expertise was shifted after reading Mills (2015). Mills most notably presents a chain of accountability diagram (p. 113) that challenged my assumptions and connected with my experience on national Boards that presented issues of balance between expertise, representation, and member involvement (Birchall, 2015). We also need to be mindful, I believe, of what took place recently with the governance at UK Co-operative Group — precious lessons to be learned there about competency versus democracy, for sure (Birchall, 2017).

References

Birchall, J. (2017). The Governance of Large Co-operative Businesses (Manchester: Co-operatives UK), pp. 1-40.

Birchall, J. (2015). “The Design of Effective Democratic Governance Structures for Larger Organizations,” in S. Novkovic and K. Miner, Co-operative Governance Fit to Build Resilience in the Face of Complexity (Geneva: International Co-operative Alliance), pp. 23-31.

Mills, Cliff (2015). “Governing Resilient Co-operatives: A Competence-Based Model.” In Sonja Novkovic and Karen Miner (eds.), Cooperative Governance Fit to Build Resilience in the Face of Complexity, 104-116.

1+

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT