John KortramJohn Kortram
Participant

Hello and apologies for jumping late on the band wagon.
As in the case provided, in our organization too we have appointed Directors that are not a member of the organization, practically spoken to have access to knowledge and expertise otherwise hard to get on your board from your member population. This in itself I believe is aligned with the insights of Governance best practices today.
What strikes me in the case is that membership itself provides no guarantee of receiving health service, but members may face a waiting time of 5 years. For such a vulnerable group, as Director that would be totally unacceptable to me. So I am curious how their Governance and purpose is formulated in this respect.
My assumption is that their main challenge is funding (or efficiency/costs of their operating model, hard to say)
I see the good governance model provided as very usable. One should handle it with the right interpretation and consider it a “model”. Key to its value in my view is the right application of Empowerment and Accountability into it.

1+

“I thoroughly enjoyed the Good Governance Matters course offered by Co-operatives First. The course provided a solid background on governance generally and specific examples of good governance practices in co-operatives. It is uncommon to find governance training specific to co-operatives so this was refreshing.”

Janet Taylor (Corporate Secretary)

Libro Credit Union

“The Good Governance Matters Course was a valuable course. I shared it with the [Arctic Co-operatives Limited] Senior Leadership Team. If it ever comes up again, I highly recommend others to take it.”

Mary Nirlungayuk (Corporate Secretary and Vice-President, Corporate Services)

Arctic Co-operatives Limited

“The online course, Good Governance Matters was very informative, easy to navigate and discussed issues relevant to our needs as a Board of Directors. This course is a great tool for boards to build their knowledge to become strong, strategic boards.”

Lori Sanders (President)

Sherwood Co-op

“This course has greatly increased my understanding of what good governance could/should look like and how each part (boards, management, members) plays a vital role in the co-operative’s success.”

2017 PARTICIPANT

“This course was highly enjoyable, and relevant to working in not only the co-op space, but with any group that needs to make decisions.”

2017 PARTICIPANT