A Workshop for Co-op Start-ups
Understanding board basics is important. Every co-op and board is different. Some will be more formal and other less so. But all boards need to make smart decisions in a timely manner. Knowing the basics can help.
For start-ups making quick, smart decisions can be especially challenging. New co-op board members have to balance developing the business, while learning their new governance role. Often these people are running their primary business as well. That’s a lot of pressure and confusion will only increase the stress on a young organization.
While confusion is normal for a start up — especially a start up co-op — if everyone knows their role (who does what and why) then quick, good decisions can still be made.
The Board Basics Workshop
Our team of experienced professionals can help. This 2 hour workshop covers the basics of being a co-op board member and explores challenges specific to your co-operative. Together, we identify action items and equip you with the resources to put a plan into action.
Here’s how it works
- Complete a short survey. This steps initiates the process and gives us an idea of the supports your co-op needs.
- You get an e-mail confirmation of receipt.
- Next, we set up a phone call to finalize the scope of the workshop and set a date that works for you.
- Within 2 weeks we host a Zoom workshop with your board that covers the basics and challenges identified by your co-op.
- Finally, we follow-up with an action plan based on our discussion.
“Our co-op was very satisfied with the level of detail, professionalism, and heart that Cooperatives First offered us. In the customized workshop we participated in we felt our needs and level of development were not only acknowledged but supported to strengthen with helpful resources, comments and insights. We’re grateful for the opportunity to build our governance literacy with support from Co-operatives First and appreciate what the organization does for emerging co-ops such as ours.”
- Keeley Nixon, Coordinator, BC Eco Seed Co-op
Working with Co-operatives First has been a tremendous help with getting our Co-op set up and formed. Their guidance and expertise has helped us learn about Co-ops and how they work. We definitely would not be as organized or as far along, as we are, without them. We truly appreciate all they have done for us. Thank you.
- Jim Southam, President, Weed Pool Cannabis Co-operative